The final seminar of the ARCOS project, with European funding from the LIFE Nature Programme, will take place on 28 May at the headquarters of one of its partners, the Aranzadi Science Society in San Sebastian.
It starts at 10:00 am and will be inaugurated by representatives from the University of Oviedo, the Directorate-General for the Sustainability of the Coast and the Sea, the General Council of the Basque Country and the Aranzadi Science Society (who will be hosting the event).
Members of the ARCOS work team will talk about the problems the project areas are facing and project activities (Barayo, Verdicio, Vega, Liencres, Somo, Berria-Helgueras, La Arena, Laga, Santiago and Zarautz): Jorge Marquínez (Uniovi-INDUROT) will talk about ecosystem dynamic; Tomás E. Díaz (Uniovi-Dpto BOS) will talk about the activities carried out in Asturias; Jesús Varas and Lourdes González (Gov. of Cantabria) about those carried out in Cantabria; José Luis Tejerina (Cantabrian Coasts) about the participation of the Directorate-General for the Sustainability of the Coast and the Sea in the ARCOS project; Jon Zulaika (Provincial Council of Gipuzkoa) about the activities carried out in Gipuzkoa and Carlos Ley (Ecología Litoral, S.L.) about those carried out in Bizkaia.
At 12:30 pm the following presentations will be made by dune-system experts:
- Laura Fernández Carrillo (from the Council of Andalusia, AMAYA, Environment and Water Agency) will talk about the LIFE CONHABIT Andalusia project.
- Mark van Til (Waternet) will talk about his experience with a pilot project to eradicate pine trees in order to develop grey dunes in the Netherlands.
- David Rosebery (Service Développement Littoral Risques Naturels, ONF) will talk about restoring grey dunes and dune system shrinkage problems in Aquitaine, France.
- Juan Bautista Gallego (University of Sevilla) will talk about coastal landscape conservation and criteria for selecting dune systems to restore.
In the afternoon, starting at 3:30 pm, the following presentations will be made by experts:
- José Ramón Martínez Cordero (Subdirectorate-General of Maritime Terrestrial Public Domain) will talk about investments in marine environment coasts.
- José Luis Atutxa (Basque government) will talk about monitoring and evaluating habitats in the Autonomous Community of the Basque Country.
The closing speeches will take place at 5:00 pm and the seminar will be done by 6:00 pm.
Services: Simultaneous interpreting (Spanish-French-Spanish) will be provided. Events will be recorded for the Aranzadi YouTube channel. Presentations and seminar conclusions will be available on the ARCOS project website https://www.arcoslife.eu/arcosweb/
Download the full programme here
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ATTENDING THE SEMINAR, SEND AN EMAIL TO ARCOSLIFE@UNIOVI.ES AND WAIT TO RECEIVE CONFIRMATION, THANK YOU.